Thursday, September 10, 2009

Carlotta, Ms Cougar 2009!









Carlotta is a doll I created for the Dimensions in Dollmaking Show in San Diego. I found out about the show through Cindy Sowers (thank you!) and although I was late they let me contribute. I was able to come up with Carlotta over a weekend and was happy I could get her out the door. The theme of the show is "Make Me Laugh" and since I have a couple of friends (who shall remain nameless of course) who like the younger guys, it did make me laugh! I must confess, though that my hubby is 5 years younger than me so maybe I am a "cub".

The lamp was made out of a bra for the Bra Challenge - to bring awareness to breast cancer. I cut the cups out, glued them together, added fringe on the bottom, glued a battery-operated twist light to the inside (it really lights!) and topped it all off with a pull switch. She is relaxing on her favorite chaise and still loves the look of a shag rug! Perhaps Carlotta would like to keep the lights low for now.

The DID shows runs from September 16th - 19th in San Diego (wish I could go). If you live in the area, take a look at the quilts and dolls as I am sure you will be amazed by all of the talent and imagination of the artists!

5 comments:

  1. She's brilliant! I too saw the bra challenge, but was too late to enter. :O) your unique idea of using the bra as a lampshade was fab! how on earth did you think of that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your challenge piece - what an ingenious way to use the bra, and doll is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, she's terrific, Deena! I love all the details. The chaise is quite the thing, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, I was in a rush but I made it! The chaise was from a garage sale - $1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abi, I also bought the bra at a garage sale the day I started the doll and just started cupping them together. Have no idea where the thought for a lamp came from.

    ReplyDelete